This article broadly explains with images, how to change internet protocol from IPv4 to IPv6 and vice versa.
IPv4 and IPv6 are simply Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) and Version 6 (IPv6).
Nowadays, most computers have IPv6 enabled; this is because IPv6 is capable of handling more network traffic more than the IPv4.
IPv6 was developed to overcome the issues and weaknesses of IPv4. The IPv4 and IPv6 are responsible for providing system address and location of the system on a network.
Sometimes we may need to test some applications in IPv4 and IPv6 enabled systems to confirm our newly developed applications are working fine in both IPv4 and IPv6.
If an application runs fine in IPv4, that does not mean it will run as expected in IPv6 and vice versa.
To perform such a task, a system that already has IPv4 enabled, we can change the setting and could enable IPv6 and vice versa.
How to enable or disable IPv4 / IPv6 in Windows 10
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard, and type settings the Settings icon will appear.
- Go to “Settings” >> “Network & Internet” >> “Status“.
- Select “Change adapter options“, as shown in the image below.
- Right-click on your current network adapter, and select “Properties“.
- For IPV6, you will have to check or uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” to enable or disable respectively. For IPV4 check or uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)“.
- Finally, Click on “OK” to save all the changes that you have made, after that restart your computer.
How to enable or disable IPv4 / IPv6 in Windows 7
1) Click on the “Start” button and click “Control Panel.”
2) In the control panel, click on “Network and Internet.”
3) After which, click on “Network and Sharing Center.”
4) Then click on “Change adapter settings” on the left side of your screen
5) If you are connected to a Local Area Network (LAN), right-click on “Local Area Connection,” if connected to a Wireless, then right-click on “Wireless Network Connection.”
6) Click on “Properties,” it may ask you to enter a password. Enter your PC password and click on “OK.”
7) A network property window will display after clicking on “Properties.”
By default, either IPv4 or/and IPv6 will be enabled. Where IPv4 is enabled, on the window, you can select or even deselect the checkbox of IPv4 or/and IPv6 to enable or disable.
8) Select your choice and click on “OK” it will enable or disable the IPv4 or IPv6 settings of your network base on your choice.
I hope this article was helpful. Please comment below if you have any questions. Also, share with somebody you know will value this information.