After reading this article, you will learn the two ways MTN users can transfer or share airtime with their family and friends in less than a minute.
The MTN airtime transfer is a package that allows those on the MTN network to transfer a portion of their airtime credit to their family and friends within the same network.
Since the introduction of this service, it has been a saving grace at critical moments, especially when an MTN user gets stranded.
The service has also been a kind of business transaction for some users who have decided to take advantage of it.
When an MTN network user has so much airtime, they can decide to sell a part of it and collect the monetary equivalent.
Now let’s see how airtime can be shared between MTN users.
There are two methods MTN made available for those using their network to process airtime credit transfer to each other.
You have the option to use either the SMS method or the USSD code method. The processes are different, but the result is the same.
How to Transfer Airtime Credit MTN to MTN
Simply send a text message to 777, the message must include the word “Transfer,” the phone number of the airtime receiver, the amount of credit you want to transfer, and your PIN code (the PIN you changed).
For instance, Let’s say you want to send 500 Naira to MTN phone 08033xxxxxx and your PIN is 2580. The SMS should exactly like this;
Transfer 08033xxxxxx 500 2580 then send it to 777.
After sending the SMS, you will get a confirmation request SMS from 777 (MTN network), on the message you will be asked to reply “YES” before the operation will be completed.
USSD Code Method
This method is my favourite. You don’t have to wait for any confirmation, once the code is dialed, the transfer will be done immediately.
All needed to be done is to dial *600* Receivers Number* Amount* Your PIN#
OK, let’s say you want to transfer 500 Naira to 0803333XXXX – Simply dial *600*0803333XXXX*500*PIN#
After sending the code, you will receive an SMS telling you that the transfer has been completed.
MTN Airtime Transfer Charges
MTN charges a small amount as service fees for all transfers within their network.
- 50 – 100 Naira Airtime – 3 Naira transaction fee
- 101 – 500 Naira Airtime – 5 Naira transaction fee
- 501 – 5000 Naira Airtime – 10 Naira transaction fee
How to Change your MTN Transfer PIN
- You can change your PIN any time of your choice by sending an SMS with Default PIN <space> New PIN <space> New PIN sends to 777. For instance, send an SMS with ‘0000 1234 1234’ to 777.
- Another method of changing your PIN is by dialing *600*default PIN*New PIN* New PIN# on your MTN phone and send the USSD code. For instance, dial *600*0000*1234*1234# and send the code.
- Immediately after changing the PIN, you will receive an SMS telling you that your transfer pin has been changed successfully.
Who can use MTN Share and Sell?
- MTN share and Sell can be used by all new and existing prepaid and postpaid customers on the MTN network.
- It allows you only to transfer credit in Naira; kobo is not allowed. For example, you can transfer NGN85.00 but not NGN85.20.
- If you don’t have enough airtime, the transaction will not be successful, and you will get an error message.
- MTN postpaid customers can only be able to transfer credit when their account is positive. They will not be able to transfer airtime when your account is negative. What I mean here is that, as an MTN postpaid customer if your balance is N-300.00. You will not be permitted to use Share and Sell. And vise Versa.
- You can transfer airtime from your MTN line to another MTN simply and quickly.
- The credit transfer done via Share and Sell will be completed immediately after confirming the transfer by replying to the SMS with YES to 777.
- The service allows only transfer between 50 naira – 5, 000 naira in a transaction.
- The maximum daily on this service is 10, 000 naira.
- The airtime transfers are secure by your PIN before any transfer can take place.
- The Share and Sell are available to all new and existing prepaid and postpaid MTN customers.