After you are done reading this post you will learn the Easy Steps to Get Driver’s License in Nigeria and renew it whenever it expires.
I guess you may not know that the newly updated driver’s license in Nigeria is recognized and can be used in some parts of the United States and some European countries as well.
You may want to ask why?
Well, it’s the same driving all around the world, even driving signs are also the same. It will be totally worthless for a certified driver here in Nigeria to have to undergo another driving lesson in other to drive in another country.
Some countries are fine with the Nigerian driver’s license.
While authorities are really working on expanding its scope all around the world. Nigerians at home await the queues to get their respective licenses.
Am sure you must know that the Nigerian driver’s license is not only used for authenticating people’s driving abilities, it is also a means of identification, as valuable as that of the National ID card in Nigeria.
How to Get A Driver’s License In Nigeria
Before you think of getting your Nigerian driver’s license you have to know how to drive. The following steps below are necessary to guide you in getting a Nigerian driver’s license.
- Acquire full training from an accredited driving school in Nigeria.
- After your driving school training, you will have to go to the VIO office (Vehicle Inspection Officer) for a test on driving.
- If you made it through the test, you will then obtain a certificate of proficiency from the VIO.
- Then go to the Drivers’ License Center (DLC), and collect a driver’s license application form for you to complete.
- Then pay the cost of the new driver’s license at the bank, and print the acknowledgment slip having your transaction number, payment details and pay at the bank.
- After which, you will have to present your completed application form to the Board of Internal Revenue (BIR) officer and VIO at the DLC for them to endorse it.
- Next, you will have to go to the FRSC Officer at the DLC for your biometric data and capture.
- Get a temporary driver’s license which will be valid for only 60 days.
- After 60 days, then go and collect your original driver’s license at the BIR Office.
Classes of Nigeria Driver’s License
- Class A License: This class for driver’s license is for Motorcycle.
- Class B License: The class B license is for Motor vehicles that is less than 3 tonnes gross weight other than a motorcycle, taxi, stage carriage, or omnibus.
- Class C License: A motor vehicle that is less than 3 tonnes gross weight, other than motorcycle.
- Class D License: Motor vehicle other than motorcycle, stage carriage, taxi, articulated vehicle or vehicle drawing a trailer.
- Class E License: Motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or articulated vehicle.
- Class F License: Agricultural machines and tractors.
- Class G License: Articulated vehicles.
- Class H License: Earthmoving vehicles.
- Class J License: Special, for physically challenged persons.
- Class V License: Convoy driving (persons engaged in driving senior government or political office holders in stream driving).
Cost of Driving Licence Application
Following are the fees for Nigerian driving license applications.
|Licence Class||3 Years Validity||5 Years Validity|
Content of the Nigerian Driver’s License Application Form
- Title: (Mr/Mrs/Miss) Surname
- First name
- Other names
- Sex: Male/ Female
- Date of birth (DD/MM/YY)
- Place of birth (City/ Town)
- Marital status
- Address information (House/ Flat/ Plot number), Street
- State of origin
- Local Govt of Origin
- Phone number(s)
- Mother maiden name
- Blood group
- Phone number of next of kin
- Nationality of next of kin
- Years of application: 3 years or 5 years…
How to Renew your Drivers License in Nigeria
A Nigerian driver’s license expires after 3 or 5 years depending on the one you applied for.
For those who have expired license to renewed it is no stress, simply follow the steps below.
- Log on to the Federal Road Safety website on nigeriadriverslicence.org
- Click on DL Application and select Renew Driver’s license from the menu options.
- On the next page, enter your date of birth and driver’s license number to pull out your details.
- Make the required payment online and print your receipt.
- Present your acknowledgment form and receipt to the nearest Drivers Licensing Centre.
- Next, Obtain a temporary driver’s license, which will be valid for only 60 days.
- Pick up the original driver’s license at the BIR Office after 60 days.
How to Know if your Driving License is Original or Fake
- Log on to the Federal Road Safety Corps Nigeria website at nigeriadriverslicence.org
- Click on DL Application, if your license is expired, click on Renewal from the drop menu.
- While it is valid, click on Re-issue driver’s license.
- Supply License Number and your Date of Birth in the dialogue box that opens and click on search.
- After confirming the Drivers License number to be correct, click Ok from the pop-up box.