This article explains how to easily disable some of your keyboard buttons on a Windows PC.
There are reasons why we may want to disable one or many of the keyboard buttons on our Windows PC.
Sometimes, we may just want to deactivate some specific keys on our PC. Maybe because they are always not in use, some other times some buttons may be misbehaving, and we feel removing those buttons will make things right.
There are many reasons why PC users may want to disable specific keys from their keyboards.
In my case, just before writing this post, my Down Button was pressing itself automatically and affecting everything I am doing on my laptop.
So I just decided to disable it. Now every other thing is working just fine.
In this article, I will show you how to deactivate a specific button on your Windows PC.
What am explaining here is how I disabled my “Down Button” and restore my PC to normal. But the Down Key is no longer functional, I now use the mouse on the onscreen keyboard as an alternative, before I replace my keyboard.
Disable Keyboard Buttons with Microsoft PowerToys
- Visit https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/install
- Click on install PowerToys, it will redirect you to a GitHub page where you can download the latest version of the PowerToys.
- Scroll down, you will find the download execution file, download based on your computer specifications.
- Install and lunch the PowerToy on your computer.
- Click on Keyboard Manager on the left menu.
- Click on Remap a Key
- Click on the plus (+) sign, and after that click on Type.
- Next, you will have to click on the key you want to disable on your keyboard and click OK.
- Select disable for the key you selected, and click on OK again.
- The video below will show a visual demonstration of the process
Video Source: YouTube
Disable Keyboard Buttons with Simple Disable Key
- Download and launch Simple Disable Key (It is a free tool). Get it via this link: majorgeeks.com/files/details/simple_disable_key.html
- Select the labeled Key field.
- Hit the key want to disable on your Windows keyboard.
- Click on Add Key.
- Choose if you need the key disabled in specific programs, during certain times, or to be disabled always.
- Then click OK.
If you later decide you want to quickly enable all the keys you already have disabled, open the App and click on Enable All Keys.
I hope this article was helpful to you. Please share it with people who need it.
- List of all Keyboard and Windows Shortcut Keys
- How To Protect Computer from Virus Attack
- How Long to Charge a New Phone Battery Before Using?
- 8 Ways To Save Your Android Battery Life Forever
Related Tags: disable keyboard windows | how to disable laptop keyboard permanently | Disable Keyboard Buttons.