Curriculum Vitae (CV) also known as résumé, is a written summary of an individual, personality, career, and academic qualifications.
It is most commonly used in both North American and British English. In North America, the term résumé is a common synonym for Curriculum Vitae in the sense of a career summary.
The CV is the most important document required by an employer for employment. Once you are called for a job interview, you are expected to come with your CV. Sometimes you are expected to submit your CV before being called for an employment interview.
Once you hand over a copy of your CV to your interviewers, most of the questions they will ask you will be based on your CV. A good area of concentration is your job experience and academic background.
Aside from your biodata and school qualifications on your CV, most questions that you will be asked will be channeled on your job experiences, this also is very important on all types of curriculum Vitae.
How to write a good CV In Nigeria
A CV should be simple short and precise. It should be something the reader can go through in less than three munites.
Making your CV bogus is totally a waste of time.
CV is not actually what gives the job you are seeking, but a good CV will definitely give you more of an advantage, at least the opportunity to be invited for an interview.
For instance, there can be a job application online, where all applicants are expected to submit their CVs. If for a job position there are over one thousand applicants, all the applicants can’t be invited for an interview.
Simply what the organization will do is go through the CV of all the applicants, and invite those that have the best CV.
A CV shows only important details which will be necessary for the job it intends to get with it.
Contents of a Good CV
Personal details such as Name, age, phone number, address, e-mail etc. They should be noticeable at first glance by the recruiter.
If you have several educational qualifications, you don’t have to state them all in full detail. For instance, if you went to 2 primary schools and 3 secondary schools, you don’t have to write them all.
For the primary school, the certificate received is the First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC), just write the year and the school you got the certificate from. The same applies to that secondary school.
For your University education and other professional qualifications, you can include full detail about them if necessary for to job you are applying for.
Work experience is another important session on the curriculum Vitae, but the sad part is that not everyone has job experience.
If you have much job experience, you mustn’t include all, only include those that are relevant to the job role you are applying for. Your CV will look scanty if you have no job experience.
As a student in a tertiary institution, it is always advantageous to engage yourself in a kind of job during your holidays. Jobs like teaching are always good as it helps build your communication skills.
If your went for your NYSC, your place of primary assessment (PPA) is also a work experience. It’s sad seeing graduates who went for NYSC saying they don’t have job experience.
Skills and Abilities
Skills and Abilities which include your competencies relevant to the job you are opting for. Some skills are very important and it gives more edge to certain job positions.
Most skills are not exactly what you can learn in school, most skills are learned outside the school environment with schools having contributory factors.
Examples of skills can be; Your fluency in languages, ability to work on target, communication skills, relationship with your coworkers, the ability to learn new things, reaction to job conditions, etc.
As much as the referees are very important in every CV, its not everyone you made your referee will want you to display their details. So it’s always best you state that the referee will be made available on request. Except if stated otherwise.
What is the format of a CV?
A curriculum vitae (CV) is an alternative to writing a resume to apply for a job. The preferred format of a CV is usually stated by the recruiter, but in most cases when it’s not stated Microsoft Word Format is commonly accepted by all employers, another format you can convert your CV is PDF.
Curriculum Vitae is commonly used in academia, research, and medicine, as well as to secure most jobs in Nigeria.
Download Free CV Template
- Accounting Jobs CV template: Word Format | PDF Format
- Nursing Jobs CV template: Word Format | PDF Format
- Procurement Jobs CV template: Word Format | PDF Format
- Quality Assurance Jobs CV template: Word Format | PDF Format
- Sales manager Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Office Administrator Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Banking Job CV template: Word Format | PDF Format
- Personal Assistant Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Driver Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Engineering Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Business Development Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Intern Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Procurement Officer Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Students: Word Format | PDF Format
- No work Experience: Word Format | PDF Format
- Teachers: Word Format | PDF Format
- Web Developers: Word Format | PDF Format
- Computer Science Student on IT: Word Format | PDF Format
- Administrator Jobs: Word Format | PDF Format
- Cabin Crew: Word Format | PDF Format
- Construction Engineer: Word Format | PDF Format
- Hotel Management Executives: Word Format | PDF Format
- Customer Service Executive: Word Format | PDF Format
- Economist: Word Format | PDF Format
- Massage Therapist: Word Format | PDF Format
- Sales Executive: Word Format | PDF Format