You’ve bought a domain name after thorough research, we hope that you chose the perfect domain for your business.
You can now be regarded as the chief executive owner of your domain name?.
So I bought a domain name now what? (What to do after purchasing a domain name).
Now that you’ve purchased a domain name of your choice, this is the right time for you to start building something on your new domain name as that is the next thing to do after buying a domain name.
Try this: Enter your new domain name on your address bar and hit the enter key.
It will show you that your domain name is still blank and you need to build something on it before it can go live on the internet.
Purchasing a domain name is just like buying a plot(s) of land without building anything on it.
The first step to take after buying your domain name is to host your domain name.
Without hosting you will just have a domain name with nothing on it.
If you own a blogger blog and you bought a domain name, you only need to connect it to your blogger blog so you don’t need a hosting plan.
Just connect your domain name to your blogger blog. These are the steps to connect your WordPress blog to your domain name.
So to host your domain name, you need to sync the two together i.e. your hosting and domain name.
Different hosting companies have different ways of syncing or connecting customers’ hosting plans to their domain names so I will suggest you mail your hosting company about this.
Conventionally, if you purchased a domain name and a hosting plan together, they are automatically synced but if you purchased the two separately, you need to connect the hosting plan to your domain name.
If you still don’t get it, let me give a brief guide: You need to order a hosting plan or package from your cPanel then search for how to connect your hosting plan with your domain name from your host or google it.
Better still, inform your hosting registrar to do this for you.
Your next question should be I have a domain name and hosting now what?
Perhaps after syncing your domain name with your hosting plan you need to do these things
- Get familiar with your control panel: You need to get yourself glued to your hosting control panel as there are many things you need to know before you can get started with your website. If you don’t mind let me start by introducing some things that may be new to you, you will see them on your cPanelThis post will go a long way to help, also read this and this for a better understanding of how cPanel works.
- Set a custom email address for your website: e.g. [email protected] You need to set a custom email attached to your domain name to make your website look more professional. To get a custom email for your domain name, Read this.
- Start working on off-page SEO techniques even before building anything on it: You can start building backlinks for your domain name if you don’t mind. So Link building is still new to you? I know, let me just introduce link building to you briefly; for now, just know that it is an act of building authority for your domain name by getting backlinks from other domain names in form of hyperlinks.
- Secure matching social media handles with your domain name: You need to secure matching social media handles of your domain name, if you don’t do this now you will regret it later on in the future. Scammers may even get rid of it and plan to use it against you in the future. They will even auction it to you at an exorbitant price. Oh! Has your domain-matched social media handles been taken? Just move on by choosing something similar to it like @officialyourdomain.com or @yourdomain.com etc., you may consider verifying the handle in the future.
Here are the things you can do with your domain name (I bought a domain name now what? 10 things to do with it)
1. Use it for fun by Building a home for yourself
If you haven’t concluded what you want to use your domain name for, you can redirect it to some important pages in the meantime till you finally conclude what you want to use it for.
Redirect it to your social media accounts: You can redirect your domain name to your social media account if you don’t have anything to do with it, for now, this will easily get you more social media followers and make it more brandable.
Instead of telling your friends that your Facebook page is facebook.com/yourname, it will even be more brand-able to tell them that your Facebook page is yourname.com, they will be shocked right? Of course, they will!
2. You can start a professional blog
What is a blog?
According to Wikipedia, A blog is a discussion website published on the World Wide Web consisting of posts often inform a diary updated daily which shows a series of posts usually belonging to a particular niche written by a blogger.
Blogging is one of the best online businesses to start. You already have the requirements to start a blog i.e. a domain name and a hosting plan, the next thing big thing is to choose the right niche, then launch your blog and design it.
If you have a passion for blogging, please go for it, you won’t regret it if you follow the right step.
The post you are reading now is a blog post so disregard any rumor that blogging is not worth it.
Blogging is still lucrative and the fierce competition does not stop you from starting your own blog if you have a passion for it and you are ready to follow the right channel.
3. Start a company website
Probably you own a company offline; you can start a website for your company.
A website that will describe what your company entails, how customers can contact you, your address, branches, etc.
You can also include icon links to your company’s social media pages, you can simply do this with WordPress
By so doing you can find new customers for your business.
Starting a website for your business is easier nowadays, you just need to:
- Buy a domain name which you must have already done.
- Buy a hosting plan.
- Install WordPress.
- Design your website using page builders, plugins, and installing themes.
4. I will also suggest that you start Vlogging
Are you the type that Like sharing your opinions through video?
Vlogging is meant for you, An acronym for Video blogging. A vlog is essentially a blog that includes or consists of video footage so hope I cleared your doubt that you can start vlogging without a youtube channel.
You can start posting different videos on your website and start earning money, you can even post premium videos.
Vlogging and youtube are two different things, vloggers only use youtube because it is the most popular video-sharing website.
Have you ever read a blog post online and you would have preferred to watch a video instead of reading the article? That is essentially the power of vlogging.
You need these things to start Vlog
- A Youtube channel.
- You need a very good Vlogging Camera.
- A youtube AdSense account to monetize your videos
- A camera stand.
- Smart video editing tools.
- Depending on your area of specialization you may need a drone.
- Lastly, you need to be smart in making videos.
5. An online forum is worth it
You can also start an online forum!
Very lucrative and one of the easiest ways to make money online
A forum is worth it!
What is an online forum? According to Wikipedia, An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.
They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived.
You don’t need to post frequently on forums, your members will do that for you in form of questions or answer to questions.
The only issue with starting an online forum is that you need the knowledge of programming languages like python etc before you can run a forum successfully.
Most of the forums you see out there were coded with python e.g. quora, Nairaland started with python too.
Nevertheless, you can still start small as there are forum scripts and software that will run this for you e.g. phpbb, smf, xenforo etc.
You can start a phpBBforum, just download the software here
For SMF forum, see this
6. You can start a search engine
So you think starting a search engine is something hard? You are wrong! The search engine is easy to start but maintaining it may be hard.
You have to compete with the likes of Google, ask.com, bing, etc.
Without wasting much of your time Read this guide on how to start a search engine.
7. Won’t you consider an online eCommerce store?
Wow! Glad I did not forget to mention this, this is one of the most lucrative businesses to start online.
Though you will need some cash to start and a comodo https certificate to start.
You can start an online eCommerce website with WordPress too, woocommerce plugin will handle this for you perfectly.
8. You can start a freelancing website
Have you hired writers or been hired on Upwork or Fiverr before?
Do you know that you can start your own Upwork or Fiverr?
You can use your domain name for this!
There are just five steps to creating your own websites like Upwork or Freelancer:
- Pick a domain name (Done this already? Just skip)
- Find hosting for your site
- Create a website with WordPress.
- Install & configure a WordPress theme like freelance engine etc.
- Launch your freelance site.
9. Starting a social media could be the best after all
How proud will you be to own a social media network like Facebook?
Let me be frank with you, it is really costly to own and manage a top-notch social media especially if you aren’t good at coding.
However, it all depends on the types of social media you want. You can’t start more if you have little knowledge of search engine work.
If you want to start small, start with this
Want to start big? Read this and this.
10. Sell your domain name
Wow, this is the last option if other options I mentioned earlier did not work you can auction your domain name at a higher price.
You can find buyers for your domain name but something will be accessed before they can buy it:
- Domain Authority
- Page Authority
- Page rank
- Domain age
- How memorable the domain name is
- Matches with niches and that are why a domain name with your name hardly sells.
Bonus: You can start reselling domain names with hosting.